Re: Updated [experimental]: {emacs,emacs-X11,emacs-el}-23.2-2

Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

>> Now that that's fixed, it still says:
>>
>>    This is GNU Emacs 23.2.1
>>    of 2010-08-16
>>
>> I assume that's the new version, why does it still say 23.2.1?
>
> The '.1' at the end is added by Emacs.  I don't know why.  This has
> nothing to do with the fact that from Cygwin's point of view, it's
> release -2 of the emacs-23.2 package.

Every time you compile a new Emacs binary, the minor release version is
increased by 1, it is a compilation counter. Existing binaries are not
overwritten, you could have emacs-23.2.1, emacs-23.2.2 etc in
parallel. During extensive development phases, I have had more than 100
compiled binaries in parallel :-)

Once you apply `make bootstrap', all binaries are removed, and counting
restarts with 1.

> Ken

Best regards, Michael.