Re: cygwin 1.7.6: find skipping over some directories on NTFS mount points

On Aug 18 18:50, Rolf Campbell wrote:
> I have an 2nd NTFS disk mounted in a directory in my primary NTFS
> disk.  When I use 'find' (with no arguments), it only displays a
> small fraction of the files in the current directory.
>
> Using cygwin 1.7.5, it displayed about 100,000 files.
> Using cygwin 1.7.6, it only displays the content of the first
> top-level directory and then just stops.
>
> I tried out all the snapshots and narrowed it down to "20100618".
> It worked correctly in "20100614" and does not work correctly in
> "20100618".
>
> If I mount the disk as a normal drive and access it using
> "/cygdrive", it displays all 100,0000 files with both 1.7.5 and
> 1.7.6.

That narrows down the problem to a specific change, but unfortunately
I can not reproduce the problem.

I assume, when you say you "mounted" the 2nd drive, you didn't mean a
Cygwin mount but rather a Windows junction point, so your drive doesn't
show up as D:, but as C:\DriveD in Windows, correct?

At least, that's what I tested.  The drive has 1577 files and
directories in multiple levels, and `find' always prints all of them,
regardless whether the drive is mounted as drive or as juntion point.
I also tried a Cygwin mount additionally, with the same result.

Here are a couple of questions.  They are all related to the mount
using a junction point.

- When you call `ls -l' in the top-level dir of the junction point,
  are directories recognized as directories?
  How many links do the directories supposedly have (should be 1)?

- Is it possible that this has something to do with permissions?
  "acl" vs. "noacl".  Your cygcheck output doesn't point that out,
  but who knows.

- Eventually, under Cygwin 1.7.6, can you please send us the output of
  `ls -l' of the top-level dir, and call `strace -o find.trace find' in
  the top-level dir and send the strace output?  Please don't try this
  with the *working* scenario, the strace of a find finding 100000 files
  would be a bit... swollen.

Corinna

Red Hat