Re: Postinstall for mintty fails when installing "just for me"

On Aug 18 12:24, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 18 August 2010 09:43, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Andy, to workaround this, you *could* create a user mount first which
> > has no "noacl", then use the user mount to check permissions, and
> > eventually umount again. ÂLike this:
> >
> > ÂPROGS=/tmp/.mintty-postinstall-$$
> > Âmount -f "`cygpath -APm`" $PROGS
> > Âif [ -w "$PROGS" ]; then
> > Â Â[...]
> > Âelse
> > Â Â[...]
> > Âfi
> > Âumount $PROGS
>
> Hmm, I'm a bit afraid that might find creative new ways of going wrong. ;)

The only way that could go wrong is, if the user already has 30 mount
points, since that's the current maximum nuber of allowed mounts.

> I think I'll go with your previous suggestion of just going ahead and
> trying to create the 'All Users' shortcut and falling back to the
> user's start menu if that fails.
>
> Although, perhaps there's a way to tell from $CYGWINROOT whether we're
> dealing with an install for all users or "just me"?

No, but I don't think it would hurt to enhance setup.exe, either by
adding arguments to postinstall/preremove scripts, or by adding an
environment variable like $CYGWIN_AUDIENCE with the values "all_user" or
"just_me".

Corinna

Red Hat