Re: Upgrading to cygwin 1.7.6 vs gcc 4.5

On 18 August 2010 00:09, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 04:54 PM, Ross Smith wrote:
>> I've installed the experimental gcc 4.5 packages (because that's the
>> version I'm using in all my other development environments, and it's
>> nice not to have to target multiple compiler versions any more), but now
>> that cygwin dll 1.7.6 is out, I can't seem to find a way to upgrade
>> cygwin without also downgrading gcc. In the installer, if I select
>> Current I get the new cygwin but the old gcc, while if I select
>> Experimental, it keeps the new gcc but doesn't offer me the new cygwin.
>>
>> At the moment I'm sticking with the old cygwin, because the gcc upgrade
>> is more important to me than the cygwin upgrade. Is there some way I'm
>> missing to select both, or do I just have to accept that I can't upgrade
>> anything else until the official gcc 4.5 is ready?
>
> Stay on the 'Curr' (not 'Exp'), click 'View' until you are on the
> Pending page, then cycle on the string next to each gcc package until it
> says Keep instead of the downgraded version number.

I'd recommend selecting the 'Exp' button actually. That ensures that
all dependencies of gcc, e.g. libgcc and libffi, are upgraded to 4.5
too. (It's yet another flaw of setup.exe that it doesn't automatically
upgrade dependencies of experimental versions accordingly.)

Of course this also selects experimental versions of a few other
packages, e.g. emacs, but if you don't want to help testing those, you
can downgrade them on the Pending page.

Andy