Re: Cygwin speed difference on multiple cores -vs- single-core?

On 8/13/10, Andy Nicholas <> wrote:

> The scripts we're using form the basis of a build system to invoke GCC and
> an
> assembler lots of times throughout a directory tree of a few thousand items.

You can end up spending all your time chasing include paths that isn't
hard to do.

> to use multi-threaded builds. When running each testing method, the CPUs are
> barely loaded at all (10%, maybe) and there's almost no I/O that registers.
Is the disk light on ? This is almost always an indication of blocking
for something. Check task manager page faults for example.

> Btw, I don't think the issue is I/O. The disk I'm using is an SSD (OCZ
> Vertex
> 2) which is fairly fast. But, the results repeat even if I try a regular
> 7200
> RPM hard drive.

I should add this to my manifesto against adjectives along with
fast snail comments. 7200rpm=720/6 revs-per-second=120rps.
This puts rotation time somewhere in millisecond range. Track to
track seeks won't subtract from that. Memory of course is in
nanosecond range, 1e6 times faster.
The issue is likely
to be buffering strategies and syncing.

> Yeah, weird.
>
> andy
>

> --

marchywka@gmail.com
note new address 2009-12-16:
Mike Marchywka
1975 Village Round
Marietta GA 30064
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka@hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.
Note: hotmail is censoring incoming mail using random criteria beyond
my control and often hangs my browser
but all my subscriptions are here..., try also marchywka@yahoo.com