Re: Missing APPDATA var in env of ssh sessions?

On Aug 11 08:08, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > On Aug 11 00:23, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >> Can ssh (or is it cygwin1.dll?) ensure that the user's APPDATA variable
> >> is populated, since it appears to be a pretty important var for Windows
> >> Vista+?
> >
> > In `man sshd' see the LOGIN PROCESS and SSHRC sections, as well as the
> > AUTHORIZED_KEYS FILE FORMAT section.
> >
> > In `man sshd_config' see the descriptions for AcceptEnv and
> > PermitUserEnvironment.
>
> Thanks. I was able to get the desired behavior by;
>
> 1) adding 'PermitUserEnvironment yes' to /etc/sshd_config
> 2) restarting sshd, and
> 3) Adding a new file, ~/.ssh/environment, with the following content
> APPDATA=C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming
> Then, logging in via ssh, the new environment has the correct value, and
> "mingw-get" doesn't litter my CWD with %APPDATA% directories.
>
> I was thinking this facility might be made the default via updates to
> ssh-user-config and ssh-host-config, but 'PermitUserEnvironment' carries
> a pretty severe warning in 'man sshd_config', so probably not.
>
> Those affected will probably find this thread, and the solution, for
> themselves.

Indeed, I rather stick to the default options as given in the upstream
release.

Btw., what you can do as well is to set APPDATA in a shell profile,
for instance in /etc/profile.d:

  _prof=$(cat /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows\ NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList/${_sid}/ProfileImagePath)
  export APPDATA="${_prof}\\AppData\\Roaming"
  unset sid
  unset prof

Corinna

Red Hat