Re: Failed linking gettext-0.18

> On Aug  6 17:44, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> IIRC, just setting LDFLAGS before configuring won't do it, because
>> Bruno *deliberately* arranged things to make overriding his desired
>> auto-import behavior difficult.
>
> So, just because he "dislikes" a gcc setting, he deliberately breaks
> building the lib?  How nice!

Well, no.  His mechanism has worked since gettext-0.11 or so, and just
because the shared libraries and executables in the gettext distribution
are compiled with --disable-auto-import has no bearing on any external
clients of those libraries (e.g. you could still compile clients of
libintl "normally").

What MAY have broken the scheme here -- and at this point it is still
just supposition on my part -- is that one of the DLLs that the gettext
milieu itself depends on NOW suddenly requires auto-import.

So it was an external change in the gcc runtime libs on cygwin that
broke the scheme (if I'm right).

Bruno has technical reasons for his "dislike"; mainly, that prior to the
advent of v2 pseudo-relocs, the text section and read-only section(s) of
DLLs had to be writable -- and therefore not shared between multiple
processes.  Even now, with v2 relocs, gcc still uses a variant linker
script when auto-import is enabled, giving the same memory wastage.  We
could change that in a new gcc release, but only if v2 relocs becomes
the default.

See here:
http://www.haible.de/bruno/woe32dll.html

--