Re: Some key binding in Emacs not properly work in mintty.

On 8/2/2010 7:37 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
On 1 August 2010 16:17, Ken Brown wrote:
On 8/1/2010 10:18 AM, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

Selection by Ctrl-Left/Right/Down work properly. But for Ctrl-Up Emacs say:

<select> is undefined

I can't reproduce this. If it still happens after you update your Cygwin installation (see below), please give a step-by-step recipe for reproducing the problem.

Looks like Oleksandr meant Shift- rather than Ctrl-, because I do get the "<select> is undefined" message with Shift-Up. Same thing happens in xterm, so I don't know what's up with that.

OK, I can reproduce that too. On the other hand, emacs running under X11 does recognize Shift-Up.

Also I have trouble with<C-backspace>. Emacs think that
I press<undo>.

I think this is a mintty issue. I'll let Andy comment.

Unfortunately terminals don't have a standard keycode for Ctrl+Backspace, hence in emacs it won't do what's expected in any of them. In rxvt, it sends the same as plain Backspace. In xterm, it sends ^H, which will invoke the help. In mintty, it sends ^_ (i.e. 0x1F), which will indeed invoke Undo.

Again, emacs running under X11 recognizes the Ctrl-backspace keypress. I guess the bottom line is that emacs runs best under X11.

Ken