About mouse selection in a cmd console

On 29 July 2010 12:16, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> Mouse selection works (it does not with DOS)
>
>Actually mouse selection does work in the console, but it is somewhat,
> erm, challenging ... . Try 'Mark' from the context menu.
>
> Enable 'Quick Edit' in the console properties to make it almost
bearable.

Hello,

1/ Enabling 'Quick Edit' makes mouse selection quite bearable in a
standard cmd console (click, then right mouse twice).
Thank you.

2/ Launching Cygwin.bat in a 'Quick Edit' cmd console gives access to
the above feature. Note that, when 'Quick Edit' is not checked, right
click to access to "Mark" is not enabled when you launch Cygwin.bat
(why?).

3/ Launch Cygwin.bat in a 'Quick Edit' cmd console, put "set mouse=a" in
.vimrc then type vi file1.
Result: file1 is opened. When you click somewhere in the file, the vim
cursor is NOT moved. In the same way, you cannot select a word to delete
it nor select a range of lines to do some specific operation. That is
the reason why I wrote that mouse selection does not work in a bash cmd
console.

4/ If you have Window vim installed (in C:\Program
Files\vim\vim72\vim.exe) and launch a cmd console (without launching
Cygwin.bat), using vim file1 opens file1. Clicking somewhere DOES move
the vim cursor. Now mouse selection does work in a cmd console.

5/ Launching bash under Mintty always gives access to true mouse
selection in vi.

vi. That is very annoying and perhaps could be improved.
- Mintty solves the problem.

Best regards,

Jean Johner