Re: ash start-up issue

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:47, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <> wrote:
> On 7/30/2010 12:37 PM, Steven Collins wrote:

>>> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. ?Thanks.
>>>
>>> cygcheck output as requested by<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> ?would
>>> be helpful. ?Without that, may I ask if you've stopped all Cygwin
>>> services?
>>
>> Sorry if I sent a top-posted response. I'm still not use to that
>> requirement. I tried to abort it being sent, but Gmail may have
>> completed it anyway.
>>
>> @#$@#$@#$#@#$@#$!!!!! Gmail got me again on the PCYM... At least it
>> was only me this time.
>>
>> I provided the cygcheck.out with the original message.
>
> Indeed you did. ?My mistake.
>
> OK, I see 2 services there, sshd and BrlAPI. ?Both were stopped at the
> time of the cygcheck run but you need to make sure they are stopped
> when you run rebaseall. ?Did you do that along with making sure all
> other Cygwin programs were stopped?
>
> --
> Larry Hall ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?(508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?(508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

> A: Yes.
>>
>> Q: Are you sure?
>>>
>>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

> --
> Problem reports: ? ? ? http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: ? ? ? ? http://cygwin.com/docs.html

I stopped sshd and marked it for manual start using the Windows
administrative tools. I don't know anything about BrlAPI, but if it is
showing as stopped then it has always been stopped because I've never
started it. I then rebooted the computer to ensure the DLL was not in
use. I then attempted to start C:\cygwin\bin\ash.exe so I could run
rebaseall. That's as far as I've been able to get due to ash failing
to start. I've also tried dash on this computer, after trying the same
procedure on another computer and getting the message from rebaseall
telling me it could be run from either of those two shells. The dash
shell also fails. I've tried reinstalling dash from startup.exe, but
that has had no affect. I would have tried the same for ash, but I
don't see what package is providing it.

Regards,
Steven