Re: git and openssh issue

On 7/21/2010 12:30 AM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:

http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Error-when-cloning-gc-ed-repository-td4425832.html

Basically, it is this random error: fatal: early EOFs: 47% (657/1396)

Seems like an issue with openssh and not git as using plink fixes the problem. Anyway, with some direction I would be willing to help, I have a very reproducible case of this.

I haven't been able to reproduce this problem myself, but I was thinking that using plink rather than ssh also eliminates a bit of Cygwin pipe handling performed under ssh. It might be useful to see if this can be reproduced another way such as over something relatively basic like rsh. If the problem reproduces with rsh, that should point more directly to a problem with the Cygwin DLL rather than ssh.

Do you have control over the server hosting the repository you're
cloning such that you can try that out?  If not, have you tried setting
up your own server with a complete clone of the repository to see if you
can reproduce the problem when cloning from that one?

OK, I was able to test with rsh and it works. So with the following install:
cygwin 1.7.5-1
openssh 5.5p1-2
openssl 0.9.8o-2
rsh 0.17-1

rsh works no problem. ssh fails to clone with the EOF error. Windows plink also works with no problem.

Are there any other experiments you would like to see? Seems to happen with any reasonable size git repo. So, if you were to say clone VTK or Qt, I am sure you could reproduce this as well.

-Bill