Re: Minimal setup to build apps from source?

If you're looking to try out a Linux environment I'd recommend burning
one of the Live CD variants of Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com/) and
booting it. As has been said before on this list, Cygwin is not Linux,
so using Cygwin to make decisions about Linux is most likely not going
to be fair to you, Cygwin, or Linux.