Minimal setup to build apps from source?

I always hear some applications thrown out there that you should have to build software from source like gcc and vim, but is there a more complete list of what is required? I built up somewhat of a list for myself to track what I've installed, but there seems to be a lot of missing points. Some of the list is as follows (there is tons more, but this is what I feel this necessary as of now):
ncureses
libncurses-devel
ncursesw
libncursesw-devel
make
patchutils
gcc
gcc-mingw
zip
unzip
xorg-server
xinit
inetutils (for telnet)
openssh
nano
git
cvs
subversion
ruby

If I, and everybody else who needs, can get some help to atleast build some of the applications that everybody wishes that would be very beneficial! Thank you.