Re: cygwin case-sensitivity: more picky than linux, by default/w no option?

* Linda Walsh (Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:44:24 -0700)
> How many different versions of 'man' are there, anyway?
>
> I've always wondered why cygwin's was so different from the few linux
> versions I've seen -- bug especially in this sense.

That's because you've seen only a few Linux versions.

> How is it that cygwin's manpages are case sensitive?

Man pages are neither case sensitive nor case insensitive.

> The reason I ask, is that on linux, not only does the man program have
> a "-i" option to ignore case, but its also the default!

Definitely not.

> So maybe cygwin could catchup to linux in this regard and go for
> ease of use?
>
> From the SuSE linux manpage for "man", regarding the "-i" option.

That is SUSE Linux specific.

> But cygwin, it's not even an option to ignore case?
> I'm almost wondering if someone switched the man programs on the
> two OS's...;-)

Cygwin is not an OS and neither is SUSE Linux.

> Very weird.
> Think it's possible to get the cygwin version 'enhanced'?

Cygwin, Mac OS and some Linux distributions (like Gentoo and Red Hat)
use a different implementation than SUSE, Debian and Ubuntu[1]. It's
just that simple.

Thorsten
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_page#External_links