Re: configure rxvt on cygwin 1.7.5

On 7/8/2010 2:44 PM, philippe wrote:
> I've together the contains of /etc/bashrc and ~/.bash into a single file
> ~/.profile and now it's ok for my prompt and aliases ! But I've still
> some problems with special characters (Ã Ã Ã ...), how can I change
> default encoding to avoid errors like below :
>
> [philippe@port78]~/Documents>
> $ ls cl*
> clÃÂ avast.txt
> [philippe@port78]~/Documents>
> $ ls clÃ*
> ls: cannot access clÃ*: No such file or directory

You probably need to abandon rxvt and switch to either rxvt-unicode or
mintty.  Rxvt pretty much only supports ASCII characters.  It's also
abandoned upstream, so it isn't likely to be fixed either.  However, if
rxvt used to work for you under Cygwin 1.5, you might be able to make it
happy again by changing your LANG setting to LANG=C.

I highly recommend mintty.

-Jeremy