Re: Unicode/UTF-8 support (MinTTY) - ncursesw - Mutt, Vim

On 7 June 2010 11:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun Â7 11:23, Michael Ludwig wrote:
>> The wide-character ncursesw was announced in January:
>>
>> Â This is the first official release of ncurses compiled to support wide
>> Â characters, and can be installed simultaineously with the "narrow"
>> Â ncurses package(s).
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin-announce@cygwin.com/msg03179.html
>>
>> It sounds like Unicode is the preferred way now:
>>
>> Â Actually, I'd prefer if people started using -I/usr/include/ncursesw
>> Â and linking against the wide version of the library instead.
>>
>> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-05/msg00465.html
>>
>> People seem to have had success compiling Mutt with ncursesw:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues/detail?id=124
>>
>> Are ncursesw versions of Vim and Mutt imminent? Or is it not going to
>> happen anytime soon?
>
> Thanks for the heads up. ÂI'll build the next release of vim (there's
> a 7.3 release coming soon) against ncursesw.

Probably a good idea anyway, but as far as I can see, vim works fine
with UTF-8 already. It even handles non-BMP codepoints correctly,
which isn't a given due to the UTF-16 wchar_t on Windows and Cygwin.
(Emacs and mined get that right too, whereas for example bash and zsh
don't.)

Michael, what are the issues you're seeing with vim? Are you using Cygwin 1.7?

Mutt and also nano do need rebuilding with ncursesw though.

Andy