Re: Cygwin 1.7: Accessing (local) junctions via SMB

On May 18 09:11, Mario KÃchler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there seems to be a change from 1.5 to 1.7 when processing junctions
> (reparse points). This was already discussed here but I want to point to
> an issue when accessing them via SMB.
>
> Both hosts have a local junction from d:\temp to c:\temp.
>
> SMB connection goes from host1 to host2 (identical account, using
> admin shared like c$, d$)
>

> Results on 1.5:
>
> user@host1 ~
> $ ls -la //host2/d\$/temp
>
> => shows the content of c:\temp on host_2_ (as expected)
>

> Results on 1.7:
> user@host1 ~
> $ ls -l //host2/d\$/temp
> lrwxrwxrwx (...) //host2/d$/temp -> /cygdrive/c/temp
>
> => resolves the local junction of host_2_ but translates it to the
> local junction of host_1_, losing the UNC part ("//host2/").

Right, that's a problem.

> Shouldn't this be parsed to //host2/c\$/temp ....

That's not possible since that breaks reparse points via SMB in another
way.  The drive letters in such a reparse point won't have a meaning at
all, unless drive C: is shared as //host/c, drive D: as //host/d, etc.
What you're proposing - to use the administrative shares - only works
for administrators.

> ... as with Cygwin 1.5?

Actually Cygwin 1.5 didn't parse reparse points at all.  It just used
them as if they were files or directories.

In contrast, the behaviour of Cygwin 1.7, which is to read the actual
reparse point content and treat it as symlinks, does not make sense for
remote reparse points, apparently.  Only the remote system knows how to
treat them correctly.  So I just applied a patch to Cygwin.  In future
it will only try to handle reparse points as symlinks if they are on a
local filesystem.  That should fix the aforementioned problem but keep
the current behavior for local reparse points.

Thanks for the report,
Corinna

Red Hat