Re: Anyone interrested in a package manager?

Hello,

* On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 07:41:51AM -0400 Ralph Hempel wrote:
> Alexander T wrote:

[Installing cygwin from a local install & package manager like APT]

> Since you did a search back to 2003, I'm surprised you did not find
> posts referring to the new and wonderful command line options
> to setup.exe that were addede in the last year.
>
> They will do exactly what you want them to do....

Well, comparing setup.exe (and even setup.exe with the command-line
options) with apt(itude), yum and several others and telling that it
does "exactly what you want them to do" does not show that you really
know these package managers.

Of course, I have to admit that it has to be written, and this is much
work (for which I do not have time), so I do not complain.

I had started trying to split setup.exe into a front-end (GUI) and
back-end. I did it some years ago. Unfortunately, after working with the
source a little bit, I found that these two are very much weaved
together, and it did not look very promising to try to separate them
without rewriting setup.exe. I am not sure if this has changed in the
last year, I did not have a look since then.

I had hoped to be able to generate a more apt-like front-end with that
back-end.

(Yes, I have seen cyg-apt, but I have not tried it myself.)

Best regards,
   Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/