Re: MS-DOS path warning with maven

On 5/10/2010 4:21 AM, David Balažic wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have cygwin 1.7.5 (up to date as of now) on Windows XP Pro SP3 and
> maven v 2.2.1.
>
> When I start mvn from a shell (I use mintty running bash): i get a warning:
>

> cygwin warning:
>   MS-DOS style path detected: F:\winsux\prg\apache-maven-2.2.1/boot/
>   Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/f/winsux/prg/apache-maven-2.2.1/boot/
>   CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
>   Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>     http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>

> I found it strange, since maven is cygwin aware and should use cygwin paths.
>
> Is this some bug?

I'm unable to reproduce your problem when running a simple mvn -version
command.  After looking through the mvn script included with the Maven
installation, I also can't see anywhere that script would directly
attempt to use a Windows-style path where a POSIX style path would be
required to avoid this warning.

My best guess is that you are either defining the JAVACMD environment
variable to point to a Cygwin program, defining JAVA_HOME to point to a
Cygwin-based JRE/JDK, or have a Cygwin-based java.exe in your path.  In
all of those cases, the mvn script will attempt to feed Windows-style
paths to a Cygwin program, and that would likely trigger this warning.
If that's not the problem, it could be that whatever target you're
trying to run ultimately attempts to run some Cygwin program with a
Windows-style path.  In all cases, Cygwin is functioning as designed.

To diagnose the problem further, you need to first eliminate all of your
build logic as the cause.  Running mvn -version as I did should do that
for you.  Then make sure that you're not somehow causing a Cygwin
program to be used in place of Sun's java.exe as noted above.  If you do
that and still see this warning, then you need to talk with the Maven
developers and/or the developers of whatever Maven plugins you're using.

HTH.

-Jeremy