Re: man pages showing special characters

Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> writes:

> Paul Bibbings:
>> FWIW, I am experiencing exactly the same problems as the OP. ?I have
>> mintty set up to use (under Options):
>>
>> ? Locale ? ? ? : en_GB
>> ? Character set: UTF-8
>>
>> which matches...
>>
>> ? 19:59:13 Paul Bibbings@JIJOU
>> ? ~ $env | grep LANG
>> ? LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>>
>> ? 19:59:25 Paul Bibbings@JIJOU
>> ? ~ $env | grep LC_ALL
>>
>> ? 20:00:29 Paul Bibbings@JIJOU
>> ? ~ $env | grep LC_TYPE
>>
>> and all man pages - or all the ones that I have checked, which are many
>> - are certainly unable to render `-' at least.
>
> What font are you using, and what do you get instead of the '-'?
>
> Andy

Well, certainly the font affects the problem.  I had this set to
`Courier'.  However, changing this to `Courier New' solves this for me
and everything renders as I would expect.  For the record, using
`Courier', I was getting a wide, solid vertical bar for al the `-'s.

I had believed that I had set it to `Courier New' in the first place, so
unless it should render properly under Courier, this is my error.

Regards

Paul Bibbings