nohup, non-cygwin processes

Hello

I am writing about a problem probably not due to cygwin, but I think it
used to work with 1.5.

I want to start a long running process with nohup and have it continue
to run even though I log out of the computer.  It seems no matter how I
start the process I get a SYGTERM signal when I log out of windows.

This is a 64-bit java program but I seem to remember being able to do
this with nohup prior to upgrading to cygwin 1.7.

As an example if I login via ssh and start the process, it is fine and I
can log out, then log back in, but as soon as a user logs out of windows
it will terminate the java job.  This will happen even if I am ssh'd in
with the process running. (which is how I found the exit code 143)

thank you
mbs