Re: UTF8 and cvs issues in 1.7.2

Erik Blake wrote:
On 03/25/2010 05:05 PM, lemkemch wrote:
>  orion> cvs -qn up -l
> U Ãppel.txt
> cvs update: warning: `Ãppel.txt' is not (any longer) pertinent
>> And frankly, I can't see how the terminal could influence the
> behavior of the cvs executable.  I am not talking about the
> displayed characters here but that cvs wants to update a file.
I wonder if the problem is that CVS/Entries was created under one
charset, but you are now using a different charset.  I suppose you could
use iconv to convert the file to the correct encoding.  Or it may be a
sign that cvs has not yet been recompiled to be charset-aware.

Yes, that sort of it is. Further experiments show this:

CVS/Entries written by 1.5:

/Ãppel.txt/1.1/Thu Mar 25 22:14:59 2010//

With 1.7 it changes to (module character corruption through e mail):

/ÃÂppel.txt/1.1/Thu Mar 25 22:14:59 2010//

The positive is that the cvs update doesn't actually change
the file on disk.  All that happens is changing CVS/Entries.
Still annoying.

The fix I found is

setenv LANG C.ISO-8859-1

But somehow that doesn't smell right.