changing setup executable

This question is more for my personal curiosity than any problem I'm having.

I've noticed that setup.exe has been updated several times recently
and I'm curious as to whats in setup that would need to be changed.

I understood setup-legacy when we switched from 1.5 to 1.7

As far as I know, setup.exe is little more than an intelligent
downloader.  Since setup "appears" to download everything it needs
from the net, why would setup itself need to be changed?

Just curious.

Thanks

Rance