Re: Intermittent perl errors with cygwin 1.7

On 3/18/2010 11:51 AM, Cygwin wrote:
"Cygwin" <> wrote in message
hne7t6$8ls$1@dough.gmane.org">news:hne7t6$8ls$1@dough.gmane.org...
About once a month I get something like this:

4 [main] perl 3156 D:\Local\Cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error -
cygheap
base mismatch detected - 0x6120C6E0/0xD4C6E0.

This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin
DLL. Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version
*should* reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you
have
installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you are
unable to find another cygwin DLL.

There is not another cygwin DLL on my system, and rebooting does in
fact fix
it, but that is of course not a solution...
Has no one else seen anything like this?

No, not without another, incompatible version of cygwin1.dll loaded on your system. If reboot resolves it but not for good, make sure your search for other cygwin1.dlls doesn't skip over hidden files, system files, and other things Windows believes it's helping you with by masking them by default. Otherwise, it may be some kind of heretofore unheard of BLODA <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA> or perhaps even a virus or something. But now I'm reaching. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746