Re: incomplete/corrupted setup.exe

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:45:47AM +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 Csaba Raduly wrote:
>>>Perhaps the MD5 and/or SHA1 checksums for the current setup.exe should
>>>be published (and updated every time there's a new release) next to the
>>>download link (like Apache does, for example)
>>
>>It is however a very highly-desirable goal.  I'll try and find some
>>round tuits to see if we can't get some traction.
>
>That would be a very acceptable alternative to my original suggestion
>of renaming setup.exe each time it's (re)released, even if it's a bit
>more work for you.  :( Thanks.

To be clear, while Dave does seem to be implying that he has the ability
to make this happen, this really is basically my decision and the
decision of the other people who maintain the site, i.e., not Dave.  Any
actual work involved would likely be done by me.

I've floated the idea about getting a certificate to allow https access
to my fellow overseers and was largely met with yawns.  All of them are
involved with other significant projects hosted on sourceware.org and
have not noticed a need for this.

Since I haven't seen any guarantees that adding https would fix this
problem I'm not convinced that this justifies the amount of work
involved.  So, until the mailing list is flooded with people who can't
download setup.exe because we don't have https access, I am satisfied
with not doing anything.

cgf