Re: Rsync randomly hanging until implementing socketpair solution

On Mar 12 13:10, lists@trcintl.com wrote:
> I have been using rsync with cygwin for years to synchronize several relatively large data sets at several different locations.  When I
> upgraded to the cygwin 1.7 version a while back, I began noticing a random problem with rsync hanging.  It would not do it in the same
> place, but it seemed to be more prone to hang on certain data sets.  The only thing different about the data set it seems to hang on is
> that this particular data set has a great deal of subdirectories with a large number of files in them and many of the files are very
> small in size.  To make sure rsync was actually hung up, I even let it run for an entire weekend just to make sure it never came back to
> life and it did not.  By the way, I also have the timeout option set in rsync and it makes no difference.  Anyway, after doing some
> research on the problem, I discovered others have seen this issue as well.  Here are a few posts I recently ran into regarding this:
>
> http://marc-abramowitz.com/archives/2007/10/14/solving-rsync-hangs-with-cygwin/#comment-299686
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-02/msg00700.html
> http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/12210
>
> The possible solution involves recompiling rsync (v3.0.7 by the way) with socketpairs turned off.  The good folks at http://www.itefix.no/
> have a version of rsync with this modification already made and I decided to give it a try.  I want to report that this has completely
> solved my problem.  Since applying the fix, I have had no more hang-ups.

I would appreciate if somebody who can reproduce the problem could try
to debug this, at the very least with strace, better by building your
own debug version of hte Cygwin DLL and attaching to the process with
GDB.  I can not reproduce the problem at all.  It's rather tricky to fix
a problem this way...

Corinna

Red Hat