Re: terminals getting killed on parent's termination

Andy Koppe wrote:
Thomas Wolff:
Closing the terminal that a program was started from is not a completely
unrelated event,
this is also a matter of taste and use case but just using a command line to
*start* an application does not indicate the intent that the command line
should continue to *host* the application in the sense of a session.
That's your opinion, but apparently it's not what the designers of
either Unix or X(lib) thought, because otherwise they could have
disabled SIGHUP by default. An example of Unix's sharp-edged "the user
knows best" philosophy, I guess. (Not that I'm a great fan of that
philosophy, as I've run 'rm -r' on the wrong directory often enough.)
Excellently pointed out. And it doesn't help the user sufficiently if some applications try to "do better" (as I'd say, and as I had perceived to be common practice) while others don't. On the other hand, the "MS knows best" philosophy isn't my favourite either...

My case is that sturdiness of an application against external impact is the more
desirable the more interactive and potentially unsaved data it maintains.
Now that's something I can agree with.
And thanks for the corresponding mintty enhancement.

Your survey above may also be interpreted this way: the most established
terminals (xterm, rxvt-unicode) do maintain this stability, while some
"newcomers" don't care (yet).
Or put another way: they've been around long enough to have had enough
complaints about it, and I do wonder whether one T.Wolff had something
to do with it. ;)
Not in this case, honestly :-D
(And I checked that a 1999 Sun version of xterm had the same behaviour already, as do cxterm, hanterm and kterm which forked off from xterm quite early.)

------
Thomas