Re: allow executing a path in backslash notation

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:59:33AM +0100, Ilya Beylin wrote:
>Thomas, you are right, it is rather an issue with bash:
>when does not see a slash in the command name, it starts path
>searching, and of course finds nothing.
>Looks like a bug.
>
>$ "$WINDIR\system32\cmd.exe" /c echo ok
>bash: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe: command not found
>
>$ "$WINDIR/system32\cmd.exe" /c echo ok
>ok

You are apparently missing the point of Cygwin.  It was developed to
allow porting of things like bash with little or no patching.  It was
for this reason that the UNIX path translation layer was developed.

I understand that you and others may think it is vitally important that
things like MS-DOS paths are handled perfectly but it is definitely not
a goal for this project.  It is not a bug when bash or some other tool
doesn't work perfectly with MS-DOS paths.

cgf