Re: Strange symlink behaviour

On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:37, Thomas Wolff wrote:

Actually, if the file system does not support hard links, a tar file that contains them doesn't properly extract at all, it will rather report errors for those files.
(At least that's what it does on a network filesystem whose mount doesn't support hard links either.)
So it's a problem to use hard links in tar for general use.

That's good to know. In my limited experiments on the NAS box we use (which speaks both CIFS and NFS), extracting a tar file containing hard links from Windows via the Cygwin tar, appears to "do the right thing". It even appears that it's an actual hard link when viewed from NFS (both files have the same inode).

Alfred