Re: Strange symlink behaviour

On 10.03.2010 01:36, Alfred von Campe wrote:
On Mar 9, 2010, at 13:44, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

On 3/9/2010 10:11 AM, Alfred von Campe wrote:
The solution was to use hard links in the tar file (which doesn't use up
any more space), and when it was untar'ed on Windows, everything worked
                ^
On NTFS partitions.  It will on any kind of FAT partition though.

I meant that it didn't take more space inside the tar file. I don't mind if it takes twice the disk space once extracted.
Actually, if the file system does not support hard links, a tar file that contains them doesn't properly extract at all, it will rather report errors for those files.
(At least that's what it does on a network filesystem whose mount doesn't support hard links either.)
So it's a problem to use hard links in tar for general use.
------
Thomas