Re: ssh + patch + $TMP

On Feb 18 15:39, Charles Wilson wrote:
I ran across an interesting "feature" of remote access today. I was
ssh'ed in to my cygwin computer, under my normal windows/cygwin account
name, and tried to run 'patch':

$ patch -p1 -R --dry-run<  ../some-patch.patch
patch: **** Can't create file
/c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/poFOD7WH : Not a directory

$ echo $TMP
/c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp

$ echo $TEMP
/c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp

$ echo $TMPDIR

Obviously, my regular user doesn't have access to cyg_server's AppData directory. This is easily fixed, of course, by setting $TMP=/tmp (or /c/Users/<me>/AppData/Local/Temp, if you like). The question is, should this be something that is done by default in /etc/profile (e.g. part of the base-files package)?

In contrast to other systems, sshd for Cygwin preserves a couple of environment variables from the parent sshd process running under the cyg_server account. The list of preserved variables is:

   ALLUSERSPROFILE
   COMMONPROGRAMFILES
   COMPUTERNAME
   COMSPEC
   CYGWIN
   NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
   OS
   PATH
   PATHEXT
   PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
   PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
   PROCESSOR_LEVEL
   PROCESSOR_REVISION
   PROGRAMFILES
   SYSTEMDRIVE
   SYSTEMROOT
   TMP
   TEMP
   WINDIR

Is it time to reduce this list?  Should sshd remove TMP and TEMP?
Anything else?

I agree that TMP and TEMP should go. PATH and PATHEXT might be nice to jettison. PATH might be problematic and is probably overwritten typically, so if it has to stay, that may not be a big deal. PATHEXT is likely in the same boat as PATH though far less important. Everything else looks to me like stuff that would be the same for all users anyway.

Holliston, MA 01746