Re: .bashrc file not run

On Fri, February 12, 2010 9:17 am, Neil Blue wrote:
> The ~/.bashrc file wasn't called by default and altering ~/.profile did
> fix the problem.

Hi Neil,

Where did you get the ~/.profile from?  It's not a base-file file...

> The comments in /etc/profile seem to imply that ~/.bashrc should be run
> on a per user basis automatically, but this was not the case.

<snip>/etc/profile quote</snip>

> /etc/skel/.bash_profile does have the code to call ~/.bashrc, but it
> doesn't seem to get used.

<snip>~/.bash_profile quote</snip>

> I still need to start bash without --login however as any settings such
> as PATH that are configured in ~/.bashrc are lost, but it does run the
> ~/.bashrc file.

Strange, I just run;

C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe

/etc/profile
~/.bash_profile
~/.bashrc

are called, but I don't have a ~/.profile.  I wonder if bash is using
~/.profile in preference to ~/.bash_profile.

Do you have ~/.bash_profile?  If not could you copy it from your /etc/skel
directory, rename your ~/.profile out of the way and try again?

This has been running out of the box like this for a number of years - I'd
be interested in knowing where the sequence has been changed and why...

Thanks,

J.