Re: Design issue with new MS-DOS style path warning?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 02:17:56PM +0100, Eric Vautier wrote:
>It may be good advice not to do it.
>
>However, there's the case of environment variables, or parameter files
>containing Windows-style paths used in build.xml, for example. It
>appears that those variables are not converted sometimes, resulting in
>failures.

Cygwin doesn't complain about MS-DOS paths in random environment
variables unless your program decides to use them to
open/stat/access/etc. a file.

If you are getting warnings then Cygwin is working as designed.  It is
telling you that you're doing something that is not guaranteed to work.
If you want to turn this off then use the CYGWIN environment variable.

>One of my build files refers to such a property.

And the "property" is?

>I get the DOS file warning at the start of the script, and further
>down, an error states that C:/cygdrive/c/Users/...  couldn't be found.
>I wonder how Cygwin would come to creating such a hybrid path.  Did
>anyone else run into this?  The same script worked perfectly fine
>before I upgraded to 1.7.

It is likely that Cygwin didn't.  It's much more likely that it is
something local to your installation.  If it wasn't then the mailing
list would be full of complaints.

cgf