Cygwin and gtk+ compiling problems still

Hi
I am still not able to compile gtk+ or gtkmm programs in cygwin on my Vista
machine & I would
appreciate some advice on how to do this. I have already posted recently
about this and I had a
reply but as yet no further help to my follow up
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-01/msg00850.html).

I have been trying to get this sorted for many days now and this is becoming
frustrating.
My latest attempt was this (again unsuccessful as shown):

Dad@Dad-PC
/cygdrive/c/RPD_Programming/RPD_Gtk_Gimp_toolkit/helloworld/www_gtk_o
rg_hw_tutorial
$ cc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` helloworld.c -o helloworld
: No such file or directory
cygwin warning:
? MS-DOS style path detected: C:/gtkmm/include/gtk-2.0
? Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/gtkmm/include/gtk-2.0
? CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
warning.
? Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
??? http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

Dad@Dad-PC
/cygdrive/c/RPD_Programming/RPD_Gtk_Gimp_toolkit/helloworld/www_gtk_o
rg_hw_tutorial
$ gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` helloworld.c -o helloworld
: Invalid argument

This compile line is from:
Compiling GTK+ Applications
Compiling GTK+ Applications ? How to compile your GTK+ application
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-compiling.html

I will also add that I would eventually like to set up my Vista cmd prompt
so I can compile gtk+ and gtkmm directly from cmd prompt
but my first step is to get this cygwin bash shell compiling to work.

I am grateful for and look forward to some helpful replies, many thanks

Richard