Re: Update problems

On 2010/01/10 6:45 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> So your argument is based on the desire to have *another* package
> manager application, besides 'setup.exe', that could be used from within
> Cygwin applications to update Cygwin applications?

Something like that, yes. The idea that one should be able to add,
remove, or upgrade a package from within the system just seems right to
me. But I'll admit to being more than a little bit biased, coming from
recent experience with Debian.

> Doesn't that seem like
> allot of duplication of effort, considering that 'setup.exe' can already do
> all of this, with the only caveat being that it should be run outside of
> Cygwin apps and Cygwin apps should be shut down when doing so?

Relax. There is no "duplication of effort" in simply having a
discussion. I realize that I'm a relative newcomer here, so some of what
I've seen in this thread has been the typical exasperation of
long-timers to stupid newbie questions. I also realize that 'setup.exe'
is at the core of the entire Cygwin package management system, so any
talk of change in this area is bound to raise hackles.

I'm not trying to twist anyone's arm. Indeed, how could I, even if I
wanted to? If my musings seem ridiculous and completely infeasible to
you, then just ignore them, or point out the flaws.

> If this really seems like a good idea to you,

I'm not so full of myself that I can't admit to being wrong. I have
simply asked some questions and thrown out some ideas around the topic
of package management, in the hope of eliciting useful feedback. And I
did get some interesting responses, particularly from Corinna and Eric.

The idea that in-use files can actually be replaced within Cygwin
contradicts what I had thought to be a fundamental constraint imposed by
Windows. That idea, plus my recent experience with Linux package
management, are what led to my initial question in this thread. I am
currently not as convinced as you that package management from within
Cygwin is as infeasible as you contend. But further experience,
research, and play on my part could certainly change my opinion.

> you should look at the
> email archives where all of this has been discussed before.  You need
> not agree with all the conclusions drawn, etc., but it makes sense to
> familiarize yourself with what's been discussed already before opening
> up these kinds of old threads.

I will do that. Thanks for your time.

-SM