mintty question ("file name too long")

I installed mintty (put the js file in the /bin folder, created a
short cut, started the shell from that short cut), but I'm not able to
use ssh, and when I type "ls" into my cygdrive directory, I get the
following error.  (Everything works fine from Cygwin's interface, of
course)

Error: Current working directory is a virtual Cygwin directory.
Can't start native Windows application from here.

bash: /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ls: File name too long
bash-3.2$ ls -al
Error: Current working directory is a virtual Cygwin directory.
Can't start native Windows application from here.

bash: /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ls: File name too long
bash-3.2$

I would like to use Mintty interface instead of Windows' and have
access to the same commands and tools.