cygwin install fails with cygbase mismatch during install

This machine used to run cygwin fine till I upgraded to WinXP (a few months
ago).

Some history.  The machine started its life as a well equipped Win95
machine.  It has been modified and upgraded, to the point that the only
thing left from the original machine is the case and a 5-1/2" floppy drive
(no longer connected).

I have been able to run cygwin and its x-windows relatives since Win98.
Over the years, I upgraded to Win2K, installed many new motherboards and
processors, replaced/added hdd's with no impact on cygwin.  A few months ago
I upgraded to WinXP (I don't like to rush into things :-)).  At that time,
the version of cygwin that I had installed started behaving strangely -
commands would randomly crash upon invocation, x windows would hang - things
that had not happened over the past 10 years or so.  I decided it was time
to upgrade cygwin.

That is when the fun started.  I downloaded the latest version of setup.exe,
did an install (from ftp at georgia tech) and everything just stopped
working, including some apps that used cygwin1.dll.

To make a long story short, I deleted EVERYTHING associated with cygwin from
all of the hdd's on the system, edited the registry to remove all
occurrences of anything to do with cygwin, cygnus, etc. and did my best to
make this a virgin system to cygwin.

I reloaded setup.exe, installed the plain vanilla (default) version (from
University of Michigan if I recall correctly) and tried it out.  No luck.

I repeated the process (deleting all files, cleaning the registry, etc) then
downloaded form Georgia Tech again.  Failure.  After much web searching I
found the diagnostics and logs I would need to trace the problem.
Interestingly, from the middle to the end of setup.log.full, was 600KB of
"*** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0xAF88E0/0xAA88E0."

Just to make sure, I repeated the process again (I am a glutton for
punishment) making sure that I did not issue any cygwin commands, checked
the log immediately after setup finished, and saw the same thing.  I also
ran "cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out" (attached).

The error reporting how-to recommended that I attach cygcheck.out but made
no mention of setup.log.full (which is rather large) so I did not attach
that file.

I really can't reformat and restart with a clean WinXP installation, there
is so much history on this machine that restoring from backups (yes I have
them) would not work - I can't find some of the original application
installation disks.

Can anyone help me get cygwin installed?

Thanks in advance,

donz http://old.nabble.com/file/p26753764/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out