Re: Need help building emacs with system malloc

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:52:02AM -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>Emacs by default uses its own malloc, but the emacs developers have
>suggested that I try to build it so that it uses Cygwin's malloc.  (See
>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-12/threads.html#00369
>for the context if you're curious.)  When I try to do this, the build
>fails as follows:
>
>gcc    -o temacs ecrt0.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o
>window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o cm.o
>term.o terminal.o xfaces.o    emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o
>sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o
>dired.o filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o
>regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o
>floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o syntax.o unexcw.o bytecode.o
>process.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o strftime.o
>intervals.o textprop.o composite.o md5.o   sheap.o  terminfo.o
>lastfile.o vm-limit.o  getloadavg.o       -lcurses -lg   `gcc
>-print-libgcc-file-name` -lm -lc `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name`
>vm-limit.o:vm-limit.c:(.text+0x17): undefined reference to
>`___after_morecore_hook'
>vm-limit.o:vm-limit.c:(.text+0x6c): undefined reference to `___morecore'
>
>Is this one of those situations where the libraries are listed in the
>wrong order in the gcc command?  Or is there something else going on?
>I'm attaching my .cygport and .src.patch files in case it's more subtle
>and someone else wants to give it a try.

No, it's one of those situations where cygwin doesn't provide something
that linux does.  It's possible that you may be able to work around
the problem by using a -D__morecore=sbrk (or maybe one more underscore
is needed) on the compile line for vm-limit.c.

cgf