Re: 1.7 fork errors in Win7

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM,  Eliot Moss, wrote

> Date:?Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:43:44 -0500
> Subject:?Re: 1.7 fork errors in Win7
> Luis P Caamano wrote:
>>
>> I'm running 1.7.0-67 on Windows 7 64 bit:
>>
>> $ uname -v
>> 2009-11-27 15:38
>>
>> and I'm getting sporadic for errors like this one:
>>
>> $ svn commit -m "xxx yyy"
>> ? ? ?2 [main] svn 5924 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp
>> before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: Can't create tunnel: Resource temporarily unavailable
>>
>> This is not limited to svn of course, just one example. ?My cygwin
>> environment is very usable as these are not that frequent but every
>> time I'm thinking all is well, one of these comes up to remind me it's
>> not.
>>
>> Is this a known issue?
>> Is there any information I can provide to help debug and fix this?
>> Is there anything I can do on my end to investigate the issue?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for all your work on 1.7, it's looking good.
>
> This "smells" like collisions with Windows dll's, which can happen
> somewhat randomly because of Address Space Randomization in recent
> Windows OSs. ?What fixes it for me is suitably rebasing all cygwin
> dll, so, and exe files appropriately.
>
> Details:
>
> /bin/rebase -d -b 0x61000000 -o 0x20000 -v -T <file with list of dll and so files> > rebase.out
>
> and
>
> /bin/peflags -d0 -v -T <file with list of dll and so files> > peflags-d.out
> /bin/peflags -t0 -v -T <file with list of exe files> ? ? ? ?> peflags-t.out
>
> Corinna and others say that this should not be necessary, but I get problems
> with certain forking programs if I don't do it. Note the -o flag, which makes
> sure that items are far enough apart that certain metadata does not cause
> problems.
>
> Do read up on how to use rebase and peflags! They need to be called from ash,
> not bash, since otherwise soe of the dll's will be open. Also, I have found
> the need to drop one or two specific files from the list of *all* so, dll, and
> exe files that I build with find, so do check the output, etc.
>
> Regards -- Eliot Moss

Thanks Eliot, I'll try that later tonight and I'll report back.

I'm also getting this kind of error from gvim (that I built myself to
add python to it):

      2 [main] vim 7580 C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin\vim.exe: *** fatal
error - unable to remap
\\?\C:\cygwin\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\loaders\cygpixbufloader-xpm.dll to
same address as parent: 0x3F0000 != 0x5B0000
      2 [main] gvim 7844 fork: child 7580 - died waiting for dll

After that, gvim hangs and I have to kill it.

That seems like the same issue and it could also be solved with a
proper rebase, right?

--
Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA USA