Re: Environment variable documentation

On Nov 30 17:04, Ken Brown wrote:
The discussion currently going on in the thread

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-11/threads.html#00892

makes me think that the section on environment variables in the
user's guide (http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/setup-env.html)
could use some expansion.  For example, it's not stated explicitly
which Windows environment variables get imported into Cygwin (all of
them?), nor is there a complete list of variables containing paths

Yes, all of them.

that get converted to Unix format.  PATH, HOME, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
are mentioned, but TMPDIR, TMP, and TEMP are omitted.  I think the
last three should be listed, along with the suggestion that users
might want to unset them in the Cygwin environment.

Yes, TMPDIR, TMP, and TEMP are handled the same way as PATH, HOME, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. These six variables are the set of environment variables which are subject to path conversion from Windows to POSIX and vice versa.

I would be willing to take a stab at writing a patch if the
developers think this would be useful.

That sounds like a nice idea.

OK, my patch is attached. It anticipates the change to the default .bashrc file that we've been discussing in the thread cited above.

Ken