Re: how to get the windows PATH env in cygwin

2009/12/1 Reinier Post:
>> If you want to see the Windows PATH setting unmolested by Cygwin, you
>> will either need to strip out the additions set by /etc/profile or avoid
>> running under an environment modified by /etc/profile.
>
> It doesn't add, actually - it replaces it.

You're wrong. The Cygwin DLL at startup translates the Windows PATH
variable. And this line in /etc/profile adds to it:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH

> A few weeks ago I got fed up with Cygwin not being able to find my
> Windows executables

It's not Cygwin's fault that Windows executables are sprinkled all
over the filesystem. Cmd.exe also only finds stuff that's in the PATH.

> and wrote a script to add all directories with
> *.exe files to the $PATH.

I bet that does wonders for performance.

Andy