Re: Cygwin 1.7, who version 7.0 does not respond with a value

On 10/28/2009 10:04 AM, Larry W. Virden wrote:
when I type the who command within a Cygwin window, only an empty line
is  returned.

The man page states that who prints info about users who are logged in.
What I have found so far is that
-H returns headers
-q returns # users=0

while who with the -a, -b, -d, -l, --lookup, -m, -p, -r, -s, -t, -T, -w,
-u options returns a blank line.

I checked /var/log/wtmp and /var/run/utmp and they exist, with
permissions of 770 and a size of 0.

I grepped through /usr/share and found references to utmp in uptime and
w. Right now, uptime is reporting the correct time, days, but says there
are 0 users. uptime -V says procps version 3.2.7. w shows the update
information, along with headers, but no data. I tried to do a man on
utmp(5), but our installation doesn't have that installed.

It looks, to me, as if perhaps we are missing some setup that results in
entries being written to utmp when a local Cygwin window is opened. I've
just not been able to determine what that is yet.

Has anyone on the list encountered and solved this issue yourself? What
steps did you take?  Thanks!

'cygwin.bat' does not "login" to anything, so you won't see user login data for "sessions logged in" this way. If you want to see actual logged in users, you will need to use 'login' or 'ssh' to really log them in.

Holliston, MA 01746