Re: reinstallation problems

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/2009 10:14 AM, Frank Kim wrote:
>>
>> Because of problems mentioned previously I uninstalled cygwin
>> following all the instructions at
>> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all.
>>
>> However when I installed again and started up the bash shell I did not
>> get my usual prompt, i.e. the typical Cygwin prompt. ?Instead I got
>> this prompt:
>>
>> bash-3.2$
>>
>> Also I was started in /usr/bin.
>>
>> No /home directory was created. ?No skeleton files were created.
>>
>> I thought Cygwin automatically does this the first time you start up.
>> How come it didn't do it? ?What steps do I manually have to do?
>
> (Fingers to temples, eyes closed) Quite please! ?I need absolute silence
> while I read your mind and determine your configuration.
>
> '/etc/passwd' is wrong, for one thing. ?Check 'setup.log.full' in '/var/log'
> or
> the directory you ran 'setup.exe' from (your mind is cloudy - I can't see
> this clearly). ?Your post-install scripts didn't run successfully. ?You can
> try to
> re-run them by hand but they will likely complain again until you determine
> the source of the problem, unless it was just a question of timing.

Thanks Larry.  You're funny. :-)

I did what you suggested and checked the logs and there were no
errors.  I tried to rerun the post-install scripts but I saw some
syntax errors and wasn't sure if it was because the scripts were
changed when they became .done files.

Becoming suspicious of my favorite download site,
mirrors.xmission.com, I decided I'd try a different site
mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca.  Reinistalling with this site caused _no_
problems.  I'm back up and running.

Anyone know what could be wrong with the mirrors.xmission.com.  I used
to always use it because it was the fastest.

I'm happy, today has been a productive morning. :-)