Re: Num lines in dirs: C:\cygwin\bin = 1152 C:\cygwin-1.7\bin = 289 WHY SO FEW?

On 09/28/2009 10:31 PM, Chris Cormie wrote:
I don't think you are doing anything wrong David. setup-1.7.exe appears
to default to just the Base category packages. The 1.5 setup.exe selects
many more packages outside the Base category by default and that's the
difference you are seeing.

There should be little difference in how 'setup.exe' works for 1.5 vs 1.7. The determination for what's installed by default has not changed, though the overall number of packages and size may have changed somewhat.

As an aside I like this current behaviour: I have bandwidth constraints
and problems with packages interfering with each other and so find it
handy to start with a small core Cygwin and add the stuff I need.

I don't know how to extract what the default packages are from the old
setup.exe: I suspect it's all the Base category packages plus others
from a list compiled into the binary though I'd be happy if someone
could correct me on that.

No, that's not true. See above.

I notice that setup-1.7.exe has a command line interface with an option
to select packages to install. It doesn't appear to be working yet. I
sure hope it is a future feature because it would be just the ticket for
  this issue: compile a list of packages you want to be in your default
install and then you could reproduce it at will.

Can you be more specific about the problem you see?

Holliston, MA 01746