Re: [1.7] gvim "Cannot fork" error

On 21/09/2009 09:48, Christopher Faylor wrote:
gdb said that the failure was coming from libxcb-1.dll so I rebuilt
libxcb-1.dll with debugging information and with a version of
libcygwin.a containing debugging symbols.

Wait, did I just hear an argument for split debug packages? :-)

The fix for the problem wasn't immediately obvious and it is very hacky.
I hope it can be removed in a couple of years when everything that was
built using a buggy version of libcygwin.a is gone.  The problem came
from one of the X libraries that, if it had been relinked recently,
would not have manifested a problem.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I
didn't record which library had the problem, though.  Tracking it down
in gdb proved to be sort of time-consuming and now the window with the
information is gone.

I can say that any DLL built with cygwin-1.7.0-51 - cygwin-1.7.0-56
is probably suspect.  That's 2009-07-13 - 2009-08-13 .

Among the X.Org libraries, only libxcb and libX11 were built with those versions. I am in the process of rebuilding both now.

Yaakov