Re: cygdrive prefix

* Vincent R. (Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:08:59 +0200)

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:02:19 -0700, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com>
> wrote:
> > Vincent R. wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there any good reason to force user to use /cygdrive/ before
> >> accessing a drive ?
> > Considering you aren't forced to use /cygdrive/ (see mount(1m)) no...
> >> I am asking it because I regularly switch from cygwin to mingw and
> >> some simple script needs to be adapted every time.
> > Huh? Can't your script sense you're using Cygwin or Mingw?
> >> Wouldn't be easier to access directly to a drive without entering
> >> cygdrive? Is there any reason for that ?
> > What would be your proposal for a POSIX path to indicate you are now
> > accessing a Windows drive by letter? "/cygdrive/" is just a string
> > indicating this. You can change it with mount(1m). Personally I (ab)use
> > /dev...
>
> Ok I see your point but I find it weird to complicate things by adding
> /cygdrive.

It's not complicating things. To the contrary: it's simplifying. Right
now the structure in / is a neat subset of a Unix / root. If you had all
these a, b, c, d, e, k, z folders in between (not to mention any network
drives) that would look a whole lot less good.

It's more or less the same reason why you shouldn't install Cygwin
directly to C:\ (but to C:\cygwin): so you don't have the Cygwin and the
Windows root folder structure mixed.

Thorsten