Re: Reading what should not!

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:29 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> I do not know how Fedora works, but on Kubuntu the user created when
> installing the SO is also 'root': one need only to use 'sudo...'. After
> typing the password it 'remains active' Âfor about 15 minute.

That makes no sense.  "sudo" means "run as root".  If you're already
root, there's no need for sudo, and most systems don't even allow root
to run the sudo command.

In traditional UNIX, either you're root, in which case you have the
full run of the box with no need to ask for extra permissions, or
you're not.  Secured OSes like SELinux change those rules, but you're
no longer in the realm of general Linux at that point.

It sounds to me like your Fedora created a user named "root" who is
not really "root" (uid 0).  Which might be a security thing, but is
sure to lead to confusion.  What does 'id' report?

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>