Re: GNU screen hangs

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 04:14:11PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>screen is difficult to debug, because it uses two communicating
>>processes, one in the foreground to talk to your terminal, and one in
>>the background to talk to the processes in each window.
>
> That's not that hard to debug. ?You just attach two different copies of
> gdb to each process after screen starts running.

...but you still need to know what you're looking at, and what to look
for.  It also helps to be well-versed with gdb, and I am not.

There was another hanging today, but this time I paid a little more
attention, and I think bash was the problem, not screen.  I never got
a prompt in that window, but I could create another window and I did
get a prompt there.  If that's what's been going on, I'm not terribly
concerned about it.  However, it would be nice to figure out what and
why and how to fix it.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> ...if you're using a DOS terminal, you need to set CYGWIN=tty in the
> environment before you start your terminal...

Fortunately, I figured that out at some point.  However, I haven't
bothered to look into what that really does, so it seems like voodoo
to me.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at various times, various people wrote:
> mintty, rxvt, puttycyg, poderosa, console2

Thank you all for the suggestions.  (Did I miss any?)  Hopefully I
will find one of them agreeable.