RE: Simple bash script is slow to execute - appears to be time spent starting commands like ls

> Good point.  You might also try running a shorter version of the loop
> (100 iterations rather than 10000) using /bin/true rather than just
> true.  I expect the performance difference to be even more dramatic.

It was a factor of 100 - see response on other thread branch.

>> I also noticed that running "echo hi | c:\cygwin\bin\wc -l" just from cmd
>> seems to pause for a second or so. So perhaps I have just a problem
starting
>> processes quickly in Vista.

> Your example here uses a pipe to wc.  It's remotely possible that
> something could be interfering with the pipe.  I suppose another test
> you could run is a comparison of starting up cmd.exe on various Windows
> systems.  If starting cmd.exe on your laptop takes significantly longer
> than elsewhere, it would seem that you have other issues confounding
> your use of Cygwin.

Actually just running c:\cygwin\bin\true from cmd was instructive. It does
pause noticeably. Then I tried c:\cygwin\bin\time c:\cygwin\bin\true and it
gives me the following:

0.14user 0.20system 0:00.53elapsed 63%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
809216maxresident)k

So basically half a second to run "/bin/true".

Now I am more convinced this is a sad, sad Vista/laptop issue.

If anyone knows how to speed up Vista process start let me know... if I find
out I will also post it, since I think many unresolved performance
complaints on this forum may be caused by the same issue.