Re: GNU screen hangs

On 2009-08-29, Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/29 Tuomo Valkonen:
>> Cygwin (1.7 -- 1.5 is useless due to non-existent
>> locale/UTF-8 support, although 1.7 doesn't shine in
>> that either)
>
> Any specific problems regarding the latter?

A couple. Firstly Xlib/libc communication seems to be
broken/unimplemented. This has frequently been a
problem on Linux too, Xlib not being aware of libc
locales. (Xlib usually won't work without the .encoding
part in LC_CTYPE, which frequently isn't there, as
libc seemingly can get the information from elsewhere.)
So XSetLocale will fail, and FontSets will not be usable,
or XSetLocale will not fail, but FontSets will still be
loaded incorrectly. Or something like that. Currently
Ion can't display non-ASCII characters, although they
work fine in Xterm that does hack raw DrawString16 stuff
expecting an unicode font. (I won't touch the blur-fascist
shit known as Xft/fontconfig with a long stick... part
of the reason for my switch to Windows XP.)

I guess there were also some problems with some of the
X terminal emulators as well (I got basic non-uxterm xterm
working anyway), but I don't feel like starting X now to
check, because it'll just crash soon afterwards.

Another problem is that a after an upgrade a couple of
months, various Python software (duplicity and eyeD3 at
least) stopped working with  UTF-8 file names (and probably
other input too). This is fixed by adding the call

  locale.setlocale(locale.LC_CTYPE, "")

in the programs. Not sure where the fault is, or if it
has been fixed by now.

Maybe there were a few other problems, but they haven't
bugged my since my initial attempts at getting things
to work well enough. And as long as things work in terminal
programs and xterm, it's good enough for my cygwin uses.

--
In 1995, Linux was almost a bicycle; an alternative way of live to the
Windows petrol beasts that had to be taken to the dealer for service.